Thursday, March 25, 2010

Grage Band and the future of our teachers...

Yesterday in class I enjoyed playing with songs in Garage Band. Even though we spent quite a bit of time using it, it was entertaining and could be something to use in my classroom in the future. I was surprised to learn that you could take songs (midi files) from the internet, put them into Garage Band then change them to however you like! It was quite simple! I do not see myself as a composer yet but playing with songs is a neat way to get kids interested in music if they aren't interested already. The fact that there are instrument lessons within the program is cool as well. I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar and the piano but I never seem to have the time. If I ever get a mac I may be so inclined to listen to those lessons and maybe learn how to play those instruments!
The fate of the teachers in NYS and around the country seems dire but I am holding out hope that after December of this year when I'm done with my Masters I will find a job I like, where I want. This may be too much to ask but hey it could happen!

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think about a friend of mine who went into his student teaching assignment one day and played a song he had written for the class. At the time I was so jealous that he could bring that artistic ability into the classroom for his students. Now, through the help of garage band, we all might be able to do that some day!
    I think there are jobs out there but they might not be exactly what you or I had in mind. For instance, rather than getting a permanent position we may end up getting hired as long term subs. Just keep your fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete