Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Laptops and music

Last class we talked about a school in PA that used software within the laptops (which were given to each of its students) to track the said laptops if they were stolen. The webcams and audio devices can be turned on remotely by administrators if a laptop had been reported as stolen. In one case, a boy was reprimanded for his "inappropriate actions" INSIDE his own home. Maybe this was unintentional or a mistake but the webcam shouldn't have been activated in the first place seeing as the laptop was still in possession of the student it was given to. I don't think this method of laptop retreival would be effective at all and the fact the webcams can be turned on (possibly) inadvertantly is not ok. The student involved has every right to be upset and the school should rethink its procedures when it comes to being able to track stolen laptops.
The music portion of class was vry interesting to start. I had gotten the idea that the lower the megabytes (or whatever they are) the less quality there would be to the music but I didn't really care all that much. Honestly, I still don't. As long as I can hear the music I want to listen to and it doesn't sound awful I'm good. It was interesting to hear the radio stations and to see how low the megabytes they use really are. The quality was fine to me so it's interesting to see that they can accommodate their listeners without using too large a bandwidth (is that you'd call it?).

No comments:

Post a Comment